Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Word Designs

A while ago I discovered a website by a guy named Jim LePage. Jim is a graphic designer and has been doing a project simply called "Word." Basically, he's been doing "book covers" for each book of the Bible. He's come up with some pretty interesting stuff. Check it out: here. Click on the picture to see a larger view and a write-up/reflection on his thoughts as to why he did what he did for that particular book.

Here are a few samples.

Some of them are pretty straightforward, like this one from Nehemiah:


Some of them are mildly ironic, like Job:
You get the idea.


Ecclesiastes:

1 Samuel:

Judges

All of the ones I posted here are pretty tame. Others of his are a little more provocative. There are some of these that, in his own words, "will probably not be hanging in the youth room of your church."

Anyway, check out his pictures and his little write-ups.
Which ones stand out to you?
Why?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

When I first saw this a few months ago the one that really struck me was Joshua. I never really thought about how bloody that book is, and in that one glance I discovered more about Joshua than I had by just reading straight through. He really knows how to communicate!

Timothy Braun said...

It's amazing what an image can do that words can't!

That one struck me to... but then (in my unending nerdiness) was immediately irritated that his choice of a sword was ridiculously anachronistic. How hard would it have been for him to use a proper Bronze Age sword and not that silly Medieval thing? But I digress :)

Timothy Braun said...

Now that I think about it a little more, maybe that touch of anachronism was intentional; maybe he was subtly pointing ahead to the crusades?

Or maybe I'm reading into it too much. But, hey, isn't that what art is all about!?

Eleanor said...

Great idea! I think I liked Nehemiah the best because it expressed the main point of the book. I liked Psalms the least because they are famous for the comfort they give, but he had 3 on Psalms and they all were on one of the few controversial passges. Overall I think he would do well to find the main message of the book and stick to that, rather than using isolated stories or passages. But creative and interesting!