Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The New NIV


Some of you may be aware that the NIV has been undergoing an overhaul. Well, the revision is pretty much done and, while it won't be in print until next year, they have given the text to BibleGateway.com so that people can preview it. So, head on over to BibleGateway (click here) and check out a few of your favourite verses.

Just for clarity: the revision has been referred to as the "NIV2011" during this process to help distinguish between the current NIV (1984) and the revised one. However, when it hits the printers it will simply take over the name "NIV" and the older one will become known as the NIV1984. The only reason why I mention this is because this is what you will find on BibleGateway's site.

There are about a zillion reviews of this revision online so I don't feel the need to do a critique/comparison here (nor have I read it extensively yet). However, as I've casually browsed through it I noticed a few things:

Yaaaay! The "inn" is no more!: Yes, one of my old Christmas hobby horses (seen here and here) has been corrected in the updated NIV which now reads: (Lk 2:7) "7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them."

Gender Inclusive Language: For a lot of people this is a big one. The new NIV has followed suit with the NRSV; they have used inclusive language where they believe it fits the context but then use a footnote to inform the reader of what they have done. Here's what I mean: (Rom 1:13) "13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters,[d] that I planned many times to come to you..."

We then see that footnote [d] reads: "The Greek word for brothers and sisters (adelphoi) refers here to believers, both men and women, as part of God’s family; also in 7:1, 4; 8:12, 29; 10:1; 11:25; 12:1; 15:14, 30; 16:14, 17."

I find it interesting that this is the reversed version of what the ESV did. The ESV translated "adelphoi" simply as "brothers" but then had a footnote saying that, because the word is referring to a family unit, it could equally be translated as brothers & sisters.


There's lots of other stuff that could be mentioned but there's no need for me to do it. Check out the revision yourself and let me know what you think! I would highly recommend that you read (or at least skim) the translator's notes (click here).

If you read a handful of verses and don't notice any big differences, that's because approximately 95% of the text is identical to the old 1984 NIV.

2 comments:

officehourthoughts said...

Personally, I think that the NIV got it right with the gender inclusive language. Since the Greek is referring to the family unit it makes sense to keep it inclusive. I actually know people who have read "brothers" and thought that the verse didn't speak to them. I think with translating there are always two things to keep in mind. What the text says, and what the culture hears. In this case it looks like the NIV did a better job than the ESV.

On a slightly different note. Have you ever read the paraphrase The Voice? Definitely worth looking at.

Timothy Braun said...

Yeah, while I'm definitely an ESV guy, there are a number of things like these two I mentioned where the new NIV is an improvement (in my opinion). All translations have their strengths and weaknesses; I'm looking forward to seeing more of the new NIV.

I've actually never even heard of the "The Voice" yet. Thanks, I'll have to check it out.