Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Marvelous Music - Day 1

Well, over the past few weeks we've had some great discussion. I've enjoyed it a lot and I hope you have too.

But let's take a bit of a break.

This week I am going to be posting every day and introducing you to some music that you may not have heard before!

Most of this won't be "popular" music. It's not that I dislike all pop music; there are a number of well known "popular" artists that I quite enjoy listening to (like Coldplay or the Dave Matthews Band). But if I'm going to introduce you to some new music then I'm going to have to reach out to the fringes... and that's where some of the best stuff is!

Anyway, this week I'd like to introduce you to Charlie Winston.

In Europe he doesn't really need any introducing... apparently he's huge in France. I just ran into him because they play his song "In your hands" on CBC Radio 2 quite a bit (Radio 2 is the only radio station I can handle listening to. I'd rather suck on the tail-pipe of a car than listen to C-95... but that's just me :)

Anyway, Charlie is a pretty straight up Folk-Rock singer-songwriter. But he's got a pretty cool vibe to him. Check out this first video for "In your hands." First of all I think it's just a really cool song, but it's also got some interesting lyrics and the video... well, the video speaks for itself.



This next song, "Like a hobo" isn't one of my favorite Charlie Winston songs but it's grown on me. Plus, you just have to check out the hat solo at about 2:30.



So, as we check out some of this music just leave your thoughts. Music is intensely personal, so I'm not expecting everyone (or maybe even anyone) to love it all. But I encourage everyone to leave a quick comment like:
"Cool, I kinda liked that first song."
...or...
"Hmmm. Not my cup of tea."

See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

Janelle said...

oh i love love love!! :)
my new (to me) musical pleasure is The Civil Wars. :)

Lisa Sawatzky said...

The first song was super catchy, and the second had to grow on me. The hat solo did it, though. And the ubber short dress that pregnant woman was wearing, it made me laugh. Pregnant people maybe shouldn't wear short, flowy dresses. (How come my computer doesn't think flowy is a word?)

colleen said...

I enjoyed both of those songs. No something that I would have picked up and listened to on my own, but I must say he does have a nice sound. What style would that be exactly?