Monday, January 11, 2010

Love lifted me!

... or at least my Jeep!
In case you didn't know, the "stapes" is the smallest bone in the human body. I don't think that I can say "I don't have a mechanical bone in my body"; it's just that if I do have a mechanical bone it would be my stapes.

So in an act of true brotherly love my brother Darrell helped me (told me what to do and did at least half of the work himself) put a small lift on the my Jeep. It's just a small 2 1/2 inch body lift but I'm very happy with it.

For those of you who might care here is how it went:

In the front we swapped out my old "stock" coils...
... for some of Darrell's "used" but much sweeter coils. This gained us just under 3 inches.

In the back we inserted some 2 1/2 inch blocks just under the leaf springs:
Before
After

And here are the final before and after pics: (watch Kaleb's pom-pom to get an idea of the hight difference).

Thanks, Deebs. You're the best!

5 comments:

dadb said...

Hello Mr. Stapes,
Sweet. Looks great. I'm sure you know more and do more than yu let on. Nice title: Love "Lifted" me. Hahahaha... Both accurate and true at several levels,-nicely done. All oldsters who read the blog will recognize this as the title of a Hymn from olden times before we went to the wall and God lost out on 4 part harmony- which is his perfered style of singing. (Honestly, I heard someone say that it was, on a Bill Gaither show so it must be true!)
love dadb

Lisa Sawatzky said...

Ha ha, I like your dad's four-part harmony comment, it amused me.

Can I ask why you wanted to make these changes to your jeep? Obviously I'm not a 4x4ing type person (mostly because I haven't had the opportunity) so I've always wondered why people thought it was so cool, er, "sweet" to have a vehicle that's harder to get in to than before. Call me "Little Miss Practical" but I like things that are easy to get into. :)

Timothy Braun said...

That's a fair questions, Lisa.

The main reason why one would raise a truck/SUV is to increase the clearance. For those people who like to actually take their vehicles off-road you want to make sure that you don't damage it by hitting something important on a rock, etc...

I'm not a hard core off-roader and didn't feel the need to go crazy jacking it up to the sky. I just wanted to lift it up a bit so that I'm comfortable taking the Jeep in for some back-woods camping and that kind of stuff.

Incidentally, we also love having a higher vehicle with kids. It's way easier putting Kaleb in his car seat now that we don't have to bend down and over which can be hard on the back. Having his car seat at torso hight is way easier!

Lisa Sawatzky said...

That completely makes sense! I forgot that you frequently camp and such, and it does make sense to jack up a vehicle to keep it safe when going off-road. I just look at the crazy city people who want to buy a truck to look tough and then jack it up and park it in front of their office building because they never go anywhere. It makes me shake my head.

And you think it's nice for Kaleb now, but just wait until he is old enough to climb in on his own. He'll need a step ladder! :)

Timothy Braun said...

Yeah, I don't think much of giant city trucks either. We call trucks that are all jacked up but have never seen a spot of dirt or mud 'Pavement Pounders.'