Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"... but the LORD was not in the earthquake."

While my title is a blatant mis-quote of 1 Kings 19:11 this phrase has really struck me.

It seems as though every few years there is some sort of huge natural catastrophe that brings uncomfortable issues to the forefront of our minds. As long as the media pushes these to the front-page we feel some sort of compassion/obligation to toss a few dollars to the Red Cross or some other agency, but for the most part as soon as the media lets the issue go we slip back into our egocentric, ethnocentric lives.

How do we deal with natural evil?

Earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes... or even cancer for that matter. How do we deal with these? Who do we blame? We have no person, no human to blame. I don't think we can blame it on Satan either. When nature strikes who do we blame? Who is there to blame except God?

These are the uncomfortable questions we often push to the back of our minds until life gets back to "normal."

If you have a couple of minutes check out 38:40-41:40 of the video below. The moderator is asking Nancey Murphy what current issues are facing the world of philosophy, theology, and science (she is an expert on the interrelatedness of these 3) that need to be dealt with.

Of course, her answer is: natural evil.



I find her answer interesting. Traditionally, Christians have said that natural evil is the result of moral evil or sin. Of course, as our understanding of science has progressed (she says) this sort of answer doesn't fit with the way the world actually functions.

According to Murphy neither the sinfulness of man nor the wrath of God are directly responsible for natural evil. Instead she says (obviously from a scientific perspective... [how does that shape our theology?]) that if humanity is to exist at all we need a world with tectonic plates. In other words, for any life of any kind to survive on this planet it requires a world with volcanoes and earthquakes. And thus God created our world that way.

What do you make of that?
You don't need to have some sort of fancy intellectual insight.
What sorts of things run through your mind when you see events like we have now in Haiti?

3 comments:

Lisa Sawatzky said...

When I see what's happening in Haiti, my first thought is that I want to adopt a Haitian child to rescue them, and because they are so darn cute! Then I think that is too expensive and not practical, so maybe I should adopt a dog from Haiti... although I'm not sure of the practicality of that either. So I pitch in a couple of bucks.

Honestly, I don't really think of it being an evil issue or that anyone should be blamed for it. I guess we just get used to bad things happening and do what we can to help those in need. But for people asking "Why?" I guess I always wonder "Why not?" Especially with natural disasters... sure God could stop it but he obviously chose not to so what can we learn from this and how can we help now? But I'll watch that clip when I get home and see what I think of it.

Anonymous said...

I think God lets this stuff happen for 1 of two reasons. People die and he calls them home. Disasters happen so people call to him for help.
Yes, it reminds us he is here. He is HERE!!
We as people band together to help each other and the media reports of miracles happening such as people still being rescued after 11 days with no water or food. And they come out of the rubble singing praises to God.
If an earthquake doesn't make anyone on this earth ask God why it happened then they are in serious denial that he exists.
Which is a whole other issue...

Robin

Timothy Braun said...

Personally, I'm a little hesitant to say that these are the REASONS WHY God allows such events.

However, Robin, you are absolutely right that (regardless of why) God USES these events for His glory.

I am continually astounded when people are pulled out of the wreckage alive!