Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Leggo My Eggo

While we're just having fun and sticking to the completely nonsensical take a look at this:

"All things are better in Koine, it's what the scriptures really say"

For those of you who don't know, Koine (Κοινὴ) is the Greek dialect that was spoken as the common language of the western world for approximately 600-700 years (from Alexander to Constantine). Within Christian circles it is often simply referred to as "Biblical Greek" as it is in this dialect that the New Testament was written. The Septuagint (LXX) is the Koine Greek translation of the Old Testament.

I suppose the whole "Leggo my eggo" section (I almost died laughing) might require a bit of an explanation: In Koine, lego is the verb meaning "I say" or "I speak." Legomai (pronounced "leggo my") is the middle/passive indicative "voice" for this verb.

As for "eggo," what they are really saying is ego which is the first person singular pronoun, "I." Thus the Koine phrase legomai ego (or "leggo my eggo") means something like, "I say to myself." For all of you nerds (like me) who think that this is totally hilarious, you can even buy legomai ego T-Shirts.

They also refer to Daniel Wallace and Bill Mounce who are authors of the most common Koine Greek grammars out there. I'm personally a Mounce guy myself.

Anyway, next week I'll be back and ready to think.

PS - for those of you who want to continue mulling over the "soul issue," check out Jared's blog. He's included quotes from Murphy's book.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what your saying is that you want a t-shirt like that for you birthday!?

Done & done!

Lisa Sawatzky said...

Wow, that was... inspiring.

Mal and Ellie said...

Pretty crazy! Some very creative students had a lot of fun making that video.

Shannon said...

I have to ask...do you know the guys who made this? Or did you just find this online? It's a fantastic video and hilarious...yes I found your blog, just randomly searching for what "leggo my eggo" meant in Koine. I know these guys, they're from my church. They are great people who enjoy having fun while learning God's word. They are some of the most knowledgeable people I know. Glad you enjoyed the video!

Timothy Braun said...

No, I don't know these guys. I just found the vid on Ben Witherington III's blog.

I remember my Greek prof doing the whole "leggo my eggo" thing in my first semester of Koine, so when I saw this vid I just lost it:)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!