Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Judgement Day Report Card

Just imagine if we got a report card on Judgement Day.
What areas do you think we might be graded on?

I've just been thinking about this because it's pretty obvious that different churches and different denominiations within Christendom focus on different areas. One church might get an "A" on showing compassion to their community but only a "C+" on tithing... or visa versa.

But I was also thinking about this from a theological perspective. I grew up in a Mennonite Church. As I began to formulate where I personally stood theologically I found that I could agree with about 85-90% of Mennonite theology. That leaves approximately 10-15% of the Mennonite perspective where I can't completely agree with.

The funny thing is that now that I'm part of a Baptist denomination I find myself in a similar situation. Recently I've been talking with a pastor that's new to the area who is serving in an Evangelical Covenant church... I've had many good friends who grew up in Pentecostal and Alliance churches... I've read through the doctrinal sections in the Anglican Book of Common Prayer... it always seems that we can all agree on 80-90% of what it means to be followers of Jesus Christ so what do we do with this 10-20%?

Obviously, what makes up the content of this 10-20% are the theological distinctives. True Mennonites hold to political separation and non-violence, Pentecostals hold to speaking in tongues, etc.

So why do we get caught up in and define ourselves by the things we will never agree on?
It seems to me that on our report cards we're all going to get an 80% or a 90% when it comes to theology. It would just be arrogant and wrong for me to say, "Well, I'm a Baptist so I'm going to get 100% and the rest of you fools are going to fail."

Some people have had views like this in the past and it ticks me off. It is nothing more than theological arrogance. Those are two words that should never go together.

Now, at the same time we would never believe something if we weren't convinced that it is true. Theology is important and we all need to follow our Spirit led convictions. But maybe God likes diversity. Maybe He uses denominational diversity to accomplish His greater purposes.

What do you think?

And, mostly because I needed a picture for this post, here's the pack Juanita picked up at M.E.C. while she was in Edmonton. Cool, eh?

8 comments:

Juanita said...

Thanks Tim. I am pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

You are both pretty cool.

Tim, I'm not sure if I get your post, after all, we're all reading the same Bible aren't we? Shouldn't we all be able to just get back to strictly the Bible and find the one 'right' set of doctrinal truths?

...hahaha
---Mike

Jess said...

We as humans have the need to be both distinct, and yet want to be with those like-minded...

Mike we are not all reading the same Bible. I for example have a very strong/irrational belief that the KJV is the only true word of God ;)

Tim and Annalisa Sawatzky said...

Tim, I will pray very hard for you that some day you will think like me and be saved.

Tim S.

Lisa Sawatzky said...

My Bible has pink and yellow and blue highlighting. Even a smattering of green. I don't think ALL Bibles have these beautiful colors.

I think we all see the Bible a bit differently because we are all created differently. It's the same with any book, really. For example, I read a book recently and I thought, "Wow, could this book be more underdeveloped? It just keeps going with no climax and no real highlights. Lots of interesting tidbits to keep you curious, but nothing to make you excited." Yet in the cover there are such comments as, "[She] packs the maximum amount of drama into her story, and the pages turn quickly." or "skillfully builds tension and keeps the plot well paced and not overly melodramatic."

It's all perspective based on who we are as developed people. Since God has created us all differently, and all with different backgrounds and gifts, is it wrong for us to see things differently? Do we NEED to agree all the time? Is it really mandatory for us to all have the same views on everything? As long as we don't think of ourselves as better than others, I don't see why we can't agree to disagree on some things, as long as it isn't on the basic beliefs that are vital to our faith.

Timothy Braun said...

Thank-you, Lisa. At least someone here takes me seriously:)

I think I agree with you. Diversity can be a strength.

I guess what I'm mulling through is hypothesis that says: "If we all agree on 80% and disagree on 20% then the odds are that within that 20% that makes us distinct is our error."

It's pretty much a guarantee that each one of us is WRONG about something in our theology. Odds are that our error is within our denominational distinctives rather than in our catholic (small 'c') Christian beliefs.

It's just an hypothesis so feel free to tear it apart.

Jen Glen said...

Thank you for this post, Tim. I read your blog often but never feel apt enough to comment b/c I am so far from being an theological debater! However, what you posted on is exactly something that I struggle with. I want to believe the TRUTH so when two different people, who in my eyes are equally as knowledgable and Godly, disagree on an issue, it really gets me agitated and upset b/c then I don't know what I'm supposed to believe!! I don't want to get to heaven and have God tell me I was way out in left field, however, if he's telling everyone that about something, well then I feel a little bit better. I like your point that we can all be wrong about something, as long as we're all right about the 8o% that truly matters! The Glen one

Anonymous said...

We have just finished teaching an Early Church History course. We were amazed at how soon after the time of Christ glaring theological errors began to be taught, such as purgatory, value of relics, veneration of Mary, etc. Some people we really admire believed some very erroneous things! And most of it could have been fixed by sticking to the Bible. Once the errors began to be taught it took 1000 years and the Reformation to change that.It makes me wonder if any of us can claim our theology is 80% right. I also believe our theology doesn't have to be completely right to have a good relationship with God and sincerely serve Him. If it did, we'd all be in trouble.
If we had report cards I believe we would be graded more on our love and service than on our theology. I guess when we get to heaven our theology will finally be completely right!