Thursday, November 13, 2008

Happy Holidays

As many of you know, Juanita, Kaleb, and I are on holidays this week. Juanita took off a little early and spent last weekend with her mom in Edmonton. I started off my week of holidays on a perfect note. My brother, Darrell, and I went on an overnight camping/hunting trip in the Nisbet forest (named after a Presbyterian minister, James Nisbet).

We were hiking everything in: food, water, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, tent... everything. So our packs ended up being pretty heavy! I'm guessing my pack was between 40-50 lbs.
We wore matching orange toques so that we wouldn't get shot by deer hunters.
On Sunday afternoon we parked the car, hiked just over 2 kms into the forest, and set up camp. We slept pretty decent. The weather network says that in our area the overnight low was -5.6*C. It was a little chilly but not too bad. On Monday we did several hikes out from our base camp and I bagged a couple Ruffed Grouse. Here's a stock photo of one if you don't know what they look like (I almost wish there was snow when we went out. It would make it easier to spot them!):
It was a great time and a relaxing way to start off my holidays:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a super time at Nisbit. I'm impressed by your overnight! Wish I could have been there! Does your statement that you bagged a couple of grouse imply that Darrell didn't? Just askin'.
Q: Did Clive Staples Lewis believe in purgatory and praying for the dead? Just askin'.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like shooting something to start your holiday with a bang.

Tim S.

Timothy Braun said...

I had my 12 guage so, yeah, I got the birds. Darrell just brought his .22 so I left (most) of the squirrels to him.

As for our good brother Jack, it seems as though we evangelicals (for the most part) like to overlook some of his Catholic leanings. It's true that in his book "The Great Divorse" he paints a picture that could incorporate purgatory. However, that was a work of alegory so I don't know how much weight to put behind that. I haven't read any other works by him that would support that view. However, in "The Problm of Pain" he seems to endorse a non-literal account of creation that may include evolution. He's got a lot of stuff that's actually pretty controversial!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time hiking and bagging birds!
I look forward to having you back in office! I need a teammate against Harv! Enjoy your last couple days!

Lisa Sawatzky said...

I like the gun.