Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Social Commentary

Sorry for the lack of posts. This past week I was up at Silver Birch Bible Camp as the speaker for their Teen Camp. I did it last year as well. It's always a great week. I loved it.

When we got back Juanita and I went on a date. This may not seem like a big deal to some of you but this was the first time in approximately 11 months that Juanita and I had more than 4 hours straight just to ourselves. We went to a restaurant we had never been to, had appetizers before our entree, had a liesurely meal (none of it ended up on the floor... Kaleb), and went to a movie. I loved it.

We saw Wall-E.

I loved it.

I've always been a fan of movies with social commentary. To me art has to have a purpose; it has to say something. That's what divides the art of "film-making" and the entertainment of "movies." What I'm trying to say is that Wall-E is a piece of art. It is film that artistically portrays a timely message.

I really should clarify, though. The second half of the movie, while still very enjoyable, degenerates into a typical Pixar family friendly (and slightly preachy) animated movie. But the first half of the movie is astounding.

With essentially no dialogue whatsoever Wall-E visually tells a story which makes you both think profound things and feel profound things. And it's still fun.

Anyway, I've always loved the genre of science-fiction because it has the ability, more-so than other genres, to speak about the "effects" that are being "caused" by today. Anyone who has read H.G. Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, or Robert Heinlein, or has seen films like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Contact, or even to a lesser extent something like I Am Legend or I Robot will know what I'm talking about.

So while we were at the theatre for Wall-E I saw adds for a new remake that's coming out this December, "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Now, I remember watching the original 1951 movie quite a while ago and it was sweet. So initially I was kind of excited. The original had all the things you'd look for in a well thought out old-school sci-fi film.


But then I saw that this new version is starring none other than Keanu "I couldn't act my way out of a wet paper bag" Reeves. Sigh.

The original was a film; a piece of art. The remake will be a movie; a piece of cr... uh, entertainment.

It happens all of the time. H.G. Wells wrote a number of amazing stories: The War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, etc. Both of these have been made into big budget movies in the last decade. All of the intelligence, wit, and poignancy are sacrificed at the altar of entertainment.

OK. I'm done now.

What other movies have you seen this happen to?
What did you think of Wall-E?

6 comments:

Janelle said...

i don't have anything to say on anything you actually posted...just wanted to say that i really miss you guys.
let's fuse it up soon.

Michael and Sharlene McDonald said...

Sorry. Didn't like Wall-E. I Felt like they said everything that needed to be said in the first 2 minutes of the movie. That and the characters did not engage me. I kept wishing that Ev-a would Toast the walking garburator and that she herself would be caught and quartered.
On a solidly positive note, we saw it at a drive-in theatre which was a cool blast from the past and made the family not really care what was on the screen!

Lisa Sawatzky said...

Just to let everyone know, "I Am Legend" is actually a zombie movie! I thought it was a typical Will Smith alien movie and was freaked out when zombies suddenly appeared. I don't handle zombie movies well.

Isn't entertainment an art form in itself? It takes a lot of creativity to entertain. That's like saying Picasso is "art" because it's non-conformative (is that a word?) but Norman Rockwell is not art because it's just fun pictures (extremely well-done fun pictures.)

If art is just outside the norm, than I'm afraid I don't like art. For example, everyone said "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was so 'artistic' and I thought it was extremely stupid. It was very artistically done, and done well, but there was no point. Why have a film without a point? That would be like running a program at church without a purpose. It may be done frequently, but should it be?

Joni said...

I, for one, am looking forward to when I actually can watch Wall-E. I've heard it's a beautiful movie but unfortunatly didn't get to watch it in theaters as I was at camp. Don't worry about Mike's comment Tim, he's just bitter :)

I know what you are saying about art and meaningfullness (is that a word?!) being sacrificed on the alter of entertainment. That's how I felt about both Narnia movies. Especially Prince Caspian, blah.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering how Tim did speaking at SBBC teen camp...5 thumbs up!

Tim and Annalisa Sawatzky said...

Well Tim, if Wall-E is artsy, then I will wait for it on DVD. You see I actually like those kind of films. Films that make you think and feel. However, the theater with it's expensive tickets better give me something I can't get at home. EXPLOSIONS! "Entertainment" looks cool at the theater! I can watch an artistic flick at home and get the same effect. But at the theater I want car chases, explosions, and special effects. Maybe movie makers know that.

Tim S.

Timothy Braun said...

I suppose I should clarify my stance on entertainment (the problem with rants is that you often mis-represent your own point).

I don't think that entertainment is bad in and of itself. I enjoy big explosions as much as the next guy. What really gets me is when a really important message is compromised in order to bring in $$$!

I suppose Wall-E could even fit into this catagory. The first half (or according to Mike the first 2 min.) of the movie is both entertaining and artful. It is a beautiful balance, though rarely achieved. The second half jumps into Disney formula mode. The art is diminished and the entertainment takes over.