Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Sometimes I just get really angry...

OK, so I'm not going to turn this into a current events blog or anything like that but this one was too much for me:

There's this church down in the states, Westboro Baptist Church, that is being sued. And they deserve it. They have been picketing at funerals. They travel all over the country disrupting and defacing the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq. Read the whole story here. Notice some of their delightful signs:

The church's official website is "godhatesfags.com" (I would have a link for you but it appears as though the site may have been shut down). You see, this church/fundamentalist cult believes so strongly that god is punishing America for it's sinfulness that they are more than willing to joyfully desecrate a family funeral.

Oh, and check out these other catchy slogans: "You're Going to Hell", "God is Your Enemy", "Not Blessed Just Cursed", and my personal favourite (please note my extreme sarcasm) "God Hates You".

Way to spread the Good News guys!



AAAAARRG!

On their website they attempt to quote every single verse that has to do with God's anger and wrath. They blame evangelical churches with 'watering down the gospel with love'.

Yeah, love is ruining the gospel... uh huh.

Oh, just wait "GOD IS LOVE". You may recognize that phrase. It's in the Bible. Maybe you've heard of it. Apparently they haven't:

1 John 4:7-8 (ESV) Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

This "church", if you can call it that, apparently hasn't read 2 Corinthians either:

2 Corinthians 5:18-20 (ESV) 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

They're doing a great (again with the sarcasm) job of reconciliation. No, instead they choose to be a thorn in the side of those who are already mourning.

Unbelievable. I can't believe that they even call themselves Christians.

I'm not even sure what discussion prompting questions to ask for this post. Feel free to also share your outrage... or correct me if I'm wrong.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to make us all mad! Righteous indignation of course. It's a total miracle that Christianity is still alive after the way Christians bungle things so frequently. Well, if the church's assets are less than a million and they have been sued for 10 million, they may not be around much longer!

Anonymous said...

Well, at least they aren't telling us who to vote for....Just kidding. Very tactful sermon. But this blog post IS really outrageous. It's not like we as christians aren't having trouble being accepted by the masses. I'm surprized that God hasn't struck them down with a bolt of lightning. Maybe He's to busy shaking his head at this one.

Rick

Unknown said...

The Westboro cult has their site at www.godhatesamerica.com. It is a terribly misguided site that does nothing good. It is people like this that are really putting wind in the sails of those who would make the bible...and freedom of religion illegal in North America. Now we can clearly see the downsides to freedom of speech...it also includes freedom of stupidity.

In related news, here is Sweden's site (www.godhatessweden.com) Get out now Swedes...are they serious!!! Notice the 2nd point of their agenda discussion. I wonder if they dress in all white...including the hoods

And oh don't leave out Canada...there is a site for Canada (www.godhatescanada.com) but it seems like they forgot to post any pages...so I guess we are still OK up here in Canada...well until they figure out the html.

This is outrageous...hardly imaginable. I hope Christians everywhere are speaking out against this defamation.

Jess said...

It is amazing that somehow christianity is still prevelant in north america.. goes to show me that God is bigger then all these losers and what they may try to do. "God is bigger then the boogy man, he's bigger then godzilla or the monsters on tv" Yes I base my faith knowledge on veggie tales and what it has taught me! :)

Anonymous said...

Although this could get me killed, I think someone needs to say it. Don't you think in our churches today we do preach love more than we preach about God's anger and wrath? I mean, not to say that God isn't love and doesn't love, he is and does, but we forget that God can also be a God who has anger.

When people ask me if I think that war is wrong, because I'm a Christian, I just have to laugh and say "no". I mean, just look at all the times God started the wars in the Old Testament! He, in his righteous anger, caused people to die and caused wars to happen. So who says he's not prompting this one as well? I don't know, I'm just saying that maybe God is responsible for this current war in his righteous anger toward the injustices in societies around the world.

Uh, back to the crazy cult, I really think that God will deal with them. There is an obvious defamation of God's character here and it seems to me that throughout the Bible God really doesn't appreciate people doing that to him, so I'd say they don't have much time left before they are "corrected" by God. If I were God I'd just step on them.

How's that for a random comment?

Timothy Braun said...

Thanks for stiring things up a bit, Lisa. I love it!

I think you definitely have a point. Often evangelical Christians have overemphasized God's love and neglect to mention God's righteous wrath (it would be hard for God to be both "Holy" and completely accepting at the same time).

I think Exodus 20:5,6 provide the proper expression of God's character for us. God's wrath may last 3 or 4 generations but His love endures for a thousand.

Anonymous said...

I just read what you wrote for the author of 'Reveal'...some Willow Creek people haha. That made me chuckle.