Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Art and Literature

I have grown to appreciate the art of Stanley Donwood. I know him best as the conceptual artist for the band, Radiohead, however his 'solo' works are equally intriguing. One of his series of paintings features city maps that he has painted over. On the top you see "London" and on the bottom, "Hollywood". Yes, very post-modern.

I think they are kind of facinating. What do you think? (click on them for a higher resolution)










On a different note, here (above) is my favourite new commercial. It makes me all warm on the inside.

Now go read a book!

3 comments:

Jess said...

I love that commercial!

Timothy Braun said...

It's a great commercial isn't it!!

Anyway, my favourite captions from "London" are 'Who shopped Who' and 'Buzzard'.

From "Hollywood" I like 'Reptile' and 'Decay'. Very appropriate!

However, it's one thing for artists to slam Capitalism (London) and the corrupted arts (Hollywood); but what would they replace it with?

Anonymous said...

So after subjecting my eyes to this vulgar "art" you then have the gal to try to make me go read a book? How dare you! If it really is a good book then I will wait for the movie. Oh, and the add made me cry. That poor little boy was caught and then emasculated in front of the whole class. What kind of a teacher would do that? Imagine how he was harassed in the playground at reassess? That poor little boy, I feel your pain man, I feel your pain!

Tim S.