Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Don't Ever Interrupt Me

Some of you have probably already seen the latest offering from the delightfully bizarre and unceasingly creative Julian Smith:

Aaah, so true!

It also reminding me of a quote from Adam S. McHugh's book Introverts in the Church:

"Many introverts do not do well with interruptions, either when we are speaking or reflecting... Introverts may become even more frustrated when people mislabel their internal processing: One of the big mistakes Extraverts make is to assume that if someone is not engaged with another person, that individual is simply not busy. So, it's okay to interrupt someone sitting and reading because that person is probably reading only because there's no one else with whom she can talk. You can only imagine what an Extravert thinks of someone who is sitting there not even reading but merely reflecting. Clearly that person needs to be put to some more useful task -- such as listening to the Extravert's thoughts of the moment."

So, let this be a friendly reminder to all of you: DON'T YOU EVER INTERRUPT ME WHILE I'M READING A BOOK! :)

3 comments:

LISA Sawatzky said...

Um...Wow. Tim. That was kind of creepy. I'm kind of scared to come to your office now in case I ever see you wearing a hoodie and reading a book. That's almost scarier than zombies this video is.

Timothy Braun said...

I think you should be OK. Juanita is probably the only person who has actually seen "the nasty me" when she's interrupted me reading!

Plus, I think the scariest part was the random bag-pipes ending.

officehourthoughts said...

I actually can't be interrupted when I'm reading a book. I just don't notice if you're talking to me