Tuesday, April 20, 2010

When in Rome... 1:8-15

So in our second post on the book of Romans we are still finishing off Paul's introductory statements.

If you don't have a Bible with you, you can read todays section here: Romans 1:8-15.

Doesn't Paul just look insanely suave in this picture :)

Anyway, let's get to the text.

What stood out to you?

Probably what stood out to me is in verses 11 & 12. What I love is that Paul sees this "spiritual gift" that he want's to give the Roman Christians as being mutual encouragement. Isn't this a big part of the beauty of a healthy, functional church? I don't know that there is a more joyful thing in Church life than to see a church and it's leadership mutually encouraging one another.

Not only does Paul want to give encouragement to his fellow believers, but he also desires to receive encouragement from them.

Encouragement isn't just supposed to flow one-way. Paul wants this to be mutual; it's a two way street!

Of course, there are other things that I could talk about in this brief section but I'll leave the rest to you.

Until then, some thoughts: (maybe more for meditation than for comments... but I'm OK with either)
In what ways do you see mutual encouragement in your church?
In what ways are you encouraged by the leadership of your church?
In what ways do you encourage the leadership of your church?

1 comment:

Lisa Sawatzky said...

I feel encouraged by the leadership of my church in the fact that I can always come in and chat about anything that's going on. I do what I can to be encouraging and help, but more I try to encourage those that are volunteering to help me. Mutual encouragement both ways would be nice, though, especially some days when it seems to be lost.