Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Reason for the Season

Ah, good ol' Halloween.
It's got to be one of the most misunderstood and abused celebrations on our calender. 'Cause Halloween isn't about Halloween. October 31st isn't about October 31st... it's all about November 1st. The point of Halloween isn't itself; "All Hallow's Evening" is about November 1st: "All Hallow's Day" or "All Saints Day," as it is more commonly known.

In fact, the Halloween that we know is actually more connected to the Gaelic harvest celebration "Samhain" ... it just so happened that Samhain was on the same day as "All Hallow's Evening" and as Celtic culture mixed with Christianity the two mixed, got all messed up, and spread around the Western World.

However, "All Hallow's Evening" (Oct 31) and "All Hallow's Day" (Nov 1) have their roots in very early Christianity. The years of the Early Church are typically characterized as being the history of the Church prior to the first Council of Nicea in 325 AD. It is in these years of the Early Church that All Hallow's Day has it's roots.

It was the practice of the Early Christians to celebrate the lives of martyrs (those who died for the cause of Christ) on the anniversary of that person's death. In fact, they originally called this anniversary that person's "birth day" as they looked forward to their New Birth in Christ; the resurrection.
However, under circumstances (like that of the Persecution of Diocletian [303-311]) when huge numbers of Christians were constantly being martyred it became impossible to celebrate all of the individual days when Christians were killed. The solution was to set aside one day when all of the churches would remind themselves and celebrate the lives of those who had given the ultimate sacrifice for their faith in Christ. In fact, while we don't know the exact day of the year which they celebrated it on, there are records dating back as early as 270 AD when churches commemorated "All Martyrs." Throughout Church history what we sometimes call "All Saints Day" has been celebrated all over the calender and has been called "All Martyrs Day," "Feast of the Martyrs," "Commemoration of all Confessors," etc... Actually, many Christians celebrate this day on the first Sunday after Pentecost.

Of course, throughout history the celebration became, in turn, both homogenized and diversified. After Constantine, the Catholic church took it and went in one direction... but when the church split the Eastern Church took it in another direction, and so on, and so on. Various Christian traditions emphasized it, neglected it, or integrated other local pagan customs into it which is exactly what we see Halloween to be now.

So, let's celebrate the lives of those who sacrificed themselves for the Gospel of Jesus Christ by dressing up like scary things and eating candy!
Yes, that was sarcasm.
That being said, my family participated in Halloween in a moderate way and I have no problem with that.

What are your opinions of Halloween?
Did you celebrate it/do you celebrate it?
Why? How?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim,

I was kind of wondering if you could cite your source. I could use a few sources on this subject.

Anonymous said...

Well seeing as you commented on my blog I suppose I must do the same to you! Just jokes man!

Seriously though. Halloween is always something that I have wrestled with. It's always been something that's just been there and existed but I've never known why. Thank you for your insights and explanation on this annual event.

When I was a child I celebrated Halloween and even into my teens years as well. But now as I mature (I use that word lightly) into adulthood I am challenged with the idea of Halloween. Particularly with the children I may someday have. So I send the question back to you.
Will Kaleb "trick or treat"? And how as a parent are you going to tackle this? I suppose the same can be said for Santa and the Easter bunny. Will they exist for your child and children to come?

Your thoughts?

Timothy Braun said...

What! Now I have to have a stinking Bibliography? What is this?

Ahem... sorry about that. Here you go:

www.wf-f.org/AllSaints.html

www.newadvent.org/cathen/01315a.htm

www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/holydays/allsaints_1.shtml

www.domestic-church.com/CONTENT.DCC/19980901/SAINTS/ALL_SNTS.HTM

And, of course: WIKIPEDIA!!!

Jess said...

Did you know that it was in the third century christians began to adopt the pagan view of reverencing the dead? thats right.. pagan view, not original/"organic" christian views. Not that its bad to recognize the lives of those that have died in the name of Christ, just saying that in that case halloween still came from pagan practices.
For the record... I don't usually like getting into these topics but I'm reading "pagan christianity" (George Barna) which is my source for this information and the chapter is on the history of "the church building".
Anyways.. I like candy and dressing up which I think in itself is fine in moderation...if it becomes bigger then Easter or Christmas in your home then I think thats a problem. In the end... I"m good with halloween and growing up I have fond memories of carving pumpkins with my dad.

Anonymous said...

I kind of think that any excuse to eat candy is okay. Well, maybe not, but it seems weird to me that people will refuse to have anything to do with Halloween but they will hang out with ex-drug addicts or prostitutes. When it comes to people, we forgive the past and let things go, but when it comes to events, we hold on to the history of the event and don't see what it is today.

I'm not saying I condone Halloween because I'm not really all that sure what to think, I'm just saying that maybe it's time to let it go. It's one of those cultural things now where kids get candy, dress up, and have fun. They don't swat each other with bloody goatskins or sacrifice animals or anything like that anymore. And if they do, perhaps it's the action itself that should be addressed and not the event because strange people do those kinds of things at all different times of the year.

As a kid I remember trick-or-treating and thinking it was so much fun to hang out with my brother and get candy, and meet all kinds of people. But I remember the fun times because that's what I was taught. We knew about Santa and we got Santa shaped chocolate at Christmas, but we didn't believe in Santa; we knew about the Easter bunny and got Easter candy, but we didn't believe in the Easter bunny; and we knew that Halloween started off from pagan practices, but we didn't celebrate that and we still had fun getting candy. I think as long as you treat it as what it now is and be honest about it, there isn't really a problem.