Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Just Looking for Your Input.

If you are a regular here at my blog you will have seen that I'm reading "Surprised by Hope" by N.T. Wright. As the subtitle suggests the book is all about "rethinking heaven, the Resurrection, and the mission of the church."


His main idea is that as Western Christians we have allowed too much of the Medieval Church's tradition to seep into our perspectives on what it means to become a "New Creation" and our views on the "New Heaven" and "New Earth." But I'll let him speak for himself briefly:

"A massive assumption has been made in Western Christianity that the purpose of being a Christian is simply, or at least mainly, to 'go to heaven when you die,' and texts that don't say that but mention heaven are read as if they did say it, and texts that say the opposite, like Romans 8:18-25 and Revelation 21-22, are simply screened out as if they didn't exist" (Wright 90).

As he develops his argument he has shaken some of my views profoundly. And so I'd like to hear from you on a few things. Without overthinking anything too much:

1. What is the first thing that enters your mind when you think of Heaven?

2. In your mind's eye what does Heaven look like?

3. Where do we go when we die?

4. After Christ's return where will we be, the New Heaven or the New Earth?

I just want to know if my old perceptions were just me or if, like he says, we're all a little messed up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess for me I learned somewhere along the line (can't remember a specific time) that the purpose of Christianity is way more than the final destination. So I agree with the excerpt from Wright's book. My thought's on heaven are rather loose come to think of it. I read some confusing glimpses from scripture and it sounds really good, but where it will be and what it will look like I try not to nail it down. I live with the assumption that it will be better than I can imagine anyway. I recently had a conversation with a guy who was taught at Bible school that heaven will be exactly like earth now, just all fixed up to perfection and all. I could live with that.

Tim S.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, is this a test?
To answer your questions:
1. The first things that enter my mind are light and the presence of God. And the end of the book of Revelation.
2. I guess I envision a city of gold, but there must also be a place away from the city, and surely it would include travelling in space!
3. We go to heaven of course! New heaven or new earth? Uh, is this related to the fourth question? Am I allowed to look in Rev 21 before I answer?

Anonymous said...

Hello
acomplia pills
But it is always better that you know basic knowledge about acomplia.
[url=http://eriecyam.org/]acomplia online pharmacy[/url]
It is like an assurance that acomplia drug will surely work.
http://eriecyam.org/ - rimonabant
Just go ahead and try it out with faith.